Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Breaking the cycle

There have been complaints, some from victims of child abuse, that the latest in a series of Barnardos advertisements is too shocking, and should be pulled. The ASA has ruled that the shocking images are justified.

Too right.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOcrZeMRUU

On their website Barnardos warn that children under 13 should not watch this without their parents' consent. It does appear on terrestrial TV though, although maybe it's only after the watershed. Anyway I don't stop my kids from watching things which disturb them. At 12 and 10 I don't think they're too young to know that they are very lucky to have the lives they have, and to start thinking of themselves as people who should at least want to make a difference in the lives of others who haven't had the same chances in life.

On the other hand, I have to confess to a slight worry that I don't know how worthy organisatins like Barnardos can help. I'm always tempted to hit the Donate button, but I wonder whether that's just me kidding myself I'm doing something useful, rather than getting involved at the business end and following through.

Off to investigate the possibilities...

No comments: