Tuesday, August 14, 2007

From Shangri-La


This is all new to me. Despite all those years spent toiling in the IT industry I'm such a Luddite. When I left computers I left computers, if you get my drift, and I didn't keep up with the accelerating advance of technology.

But thanks to Martin's boyish enthusiasm and need to keep in touch with his burgeoning business Empire from holidays, here I am on the computer. Rather inexplicably, given that it's about 8am, I'm sitting in my waffle bathrobe in our rather lovely room in the Shangri-La, Muscat, Oman, keeping up with my blog while the children sleep and Martin pounds the treadmill in the gym. I have a cup of Twinings Earl Grey on the go and I couldn't be happier. I'm going to go do some exercise when he gets back, because I've eaten something just shy of my bodyweight in the 36 hours since we've been here and something has definitely got to give.

We haven't left the hotel compound yet and probably won't until tomorrow. It's their off-season here because it is, to put it frankly, bloody hot. About 37 degrees and it's only the pool, the shade of the umbrellas, the slight breeze and the cold towels that the staff pass round periodically which make it bearable. The idea of sightseeing in this heat really doesn't bear thinking about. We have to build up to it. Anyway, the children are having an amazing time in the pools and the sea and I can't face the sulky faces. Despite repeated lashings of Factor 50, Son has burnt his face and shoulders for the first time in his life, and is bewildered by the soreness. T-shirt today, I think. And maybe he won't whinge so much about the sun cream application. Nevertheless last night as he came back with the pieces of cake he'd drenched under the enormous chocolate fountain, he sat down at our table and said "I am so loving this holiday." I'm kind of with him on that. Much as I hate to admit it, I who like to rough it a little and yearn for a camper van, a bit of luxury is a wonderful thing.

No comments: