Thursday, August 10, 2006

Small Successes

Thanks to all my lovely reviewers over at American Zoetrope, my script is in the Top 3, as published today. Yes, "Dance with Me" marks my first top 3 entry in that category, although "Dance Away" was a Top 3 in the Short Scripts section a long, long time ago.

Trouble is that I have no idea how to capitalise on successes like this. When I recently sent a script in response to a request from a well-known BBC producer interested in films, I mentioned the script I'm working on in my letter. He rang back when he got my letter to say although he wasn't interested in the script I sent him, he would like to talk about the other one I mentioned. That was several weeks ago and I haven't rung back.

I'm always missing opportunities through wilful neglect. A few years ago I was invited to submit a treatment and sample episode for an early evening animation series to the BBC. They were looking for three writers to groom up. It's not necessarily my thing, and I wasn't chosen, but on the strength of my submission I was told that I should ring the Head of Animation at the Beeb to discuss other ideas. I never rang. It was only when I told someone about this and saw the look on her face that I realised the enormity of my omission.

My writing history is littered with instances like this where I have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I struggle to analyse why I do this, but I really must stop. One thing I'm aware of is that I'm not good on the phone. I've never been one who chats endlessly on the phone - it's a half-medium, sterile, and I just don't like it. I love email because you can frame words carefully, and I like one-to-one meetings because communication is about a great deal more than words; I'm a good reader of body language and I get on with people very well face to face.

So there we are. Ever the nearly woman. Any ideas on how to progress things are always welcome!

2 comments:

Andrew Preston said...

How to progress things...

You seem to have answered your own question....about what to do next..

"Hello, I'm Frances from the other day, as you can tell I'm really crap on the phone, but I'm a lot better in meetings, and I'd love to meet to discuss...."

Frankie C. said...

I called, Andrew! He's asked me to send a script... That'll teach me.

Thanks for the little push!