Friday, August 27, 2010

Male attendant


Most of the time I feel like I'm a fairly easy-going sort of person, except when I'm screaming and purple with rage, flecks of my saliva settling on distant objects.... However, I am struck that there are certain things which bother me which don't seem to bother other people AT ALL.


One of these is public loos. Not the loos themselves; I recognise that they are an important adjunct to our existence as fast moving tea and coffee drinking entities. A loo in a service station or an airport is an important place. Not only somewhere to relieve yourself, it's also somewhere to freshen up, restore your make-up, check that you don't have something clinging to the inside of a nostril or staining your teeth. In other words it's somewhere to do things which you don't want other people seeing. It's private. The basins can have a row of women at them grooming themselves, adjusting their clothing, putting things right.


I object therefore quite strongly to the sign that says "Male attendant in attendance". I don't want a male attendant in attendance. I want those idiots who run the establishment to recognise that a women's loo is a WOMEN's place. If someone comes in to clean and sort things out, that person should be a woman. I don't want to be sitting on the loo and hear a man's voice calling out "Hello!" to indicate that he's there. (And he always sounds as if there is nowhere on God's earth he'd like to be less than pushing a mop and bucket around a place where women do their business, and where he knows women might be doing their business while he's there.) It's uncomfortable, and what you don't want in a women's loo is to feel uncomfortable.


Don't tell me that these organisations don't make enough money to be able to a male attendant and a female attendant. Every tine I see the sign I want to go and have an argument with someone. But I'm always on the way somewhere else so I don't have the time...

No comments: