Saturday, March 21, 2009

Subversion



A new piece of street art has cropped up in a doorway on my way to work. Here in Bristol, home of Banksy, we have a lot of very wonderful street art, most of it banksyesque, whether it be by himself or something of an homage.

I noticed one which got the cogs whirring earlier than they would normally. It featured the Queen wearing a tiara and a grey hoodie with a Banksy image on it. The original image is above, and I think in itself that it conjures up all sorts of questions. I read it as someone who is perceived as a hooligan and a danger to society fighting back with beauty: an assertion of the creative power of a society which is not the art establishment. So a bit of a pat on his own back really!


So this new version has the ultimate authority figure, arguably therefore Britain itself, espousing and demonstrating its enthusiasm for street culture. That's my take anyway. I think street art holds up and interesting reflection of what's happening in British culture. The more the better, I think. The additional, more pragmatic, benefit is that walls adorned with graffiti art tend not to get tagged by eejits with spray cans.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I approve of with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a suspect as you did in the downgrade issue of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=my screen recorder pro 2.32 ?
I noticed the utter you have not used. Or you partake of the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg

Dave H said...

Oh no, anonymous commenter - look what you have done! This fine blogger was writing with all her superb ability, and you have silenced her completely, for nearly a year, with the most abstruse, baffling and disjointed comment I have ever seen! Be very ashamed!