Saturday, January 06, 2007

Caffeine is a powerful drug.



I have deprived my body of caffeine for the last six days and I acn barely walk upstairs, I am so lethargic.

This was not unexpected. Him and I do this every January - give up alcohol, caffeine, wheat, red meat, potatoes and sugar. And every year I think that the alcohol is going to be the toughest to kick, and every year about now I feel as if every ounce of energy has been siphoned out of me in my sleep.

Nevertheless I tried to do some writing this afternoon. What a silly idea! I was incapable of any cogent thought about anything, and so tired that I sat with my head in my hands and actually fell asleep. Nevertheless I persevered in between stints on Freecell and having a look at what was happening in the Celebrity Big Brother House on the net bulletin (why? I don't even watch it?). But I wouldn't allow myself to leave the desk, and so in the end I had a little spurt of inspiration and I now have an end to the story. Probably a rubbish one, but i'll go with it until something better occurs to me, as it inevitably will. I also, as a by-product, came up with an outline for a new comedy, which I have a feeling might get written before the magnum opus.

Anyway, the caffeine mist is showing no signs yet of lifting, and I have achieved very, very little since Monday. I remember once last year that about two thirds of the way through January I met a friend at a coffee shop and completely forgot to ask for decaf when I ordered. After one cup of coffee my heart was pounding, my mouth was dry and I was giddy as I sped up the hill to collect my children. Normally I drink so much (brewed, Lavazza, strong...) that I don't notice its effects. It wasn't until that moment that I realised what a very powerful drug caffeine is. Scary!

2 comments:

Andrew Preston said...

What level of caffeine/coffee consumption are you withdrawing from?

Andrew

Frankie C. said...

I drink the best part of a litre cafetiere of strong coffee in the morning (Martin claws one cup from me) and then have a couple of cups of tea during the day. It's not a vast amount (apart from breakfast), but it seems to be what keeps everything rolling along.

Getting better now though. I feel quite good. Hot water isn't SO bad.